Regina officer accused of using police databases to meet women undermined public trust, chief says

Regina police chief Farooq Sheikh says public trust has been eroded after a police officer was accused of using internal databases to meet women.

Sheikh told reporters Thursday that the allegations against the officer, who has been suspended, do not reflect the values of the Regina Police Service.

"We want to be open, transparent and accountable for our actions," he said. "Public trust and confidence is paramount to the work that we do here and in communities."

Sgt. Robert Eric Semenchuck has been charged with breach of trust and unauthorized use of a computer.

Ottawa, Alberta reach joint $70-million deal for homelessness response

Ottawa and Alberta have reached a new joint $70-million funding agreement to aid the province's response to homelessness.

Social Services Minister Jason Nixon says the funding is expected to boost shelter capacity, build transitional housing, and support the government's navigation centres in Edmonton and Calgary.

Those navigation centres serve as a hub where those experiencing homelessness can go to be referred to available supports and services.

Nixon says the funding will be split between Alberta's two major cities as well as Red Deer and Lethbridge.

Carney transition team met with PMO staff Tuesday, hope for PM swearing in by Friday

Liberal Leader Mark Carney is hoping to be sworn in as Canada's 24th prime minister by the end of the week but there are some logistical hurdles like security clearances for senior members of his transition team that must happen first.

Carney won a landslide victory to take the helm of the Liberals from Justin Trudeau on Sunday night but he isn't yet the prime minister.

Alberta, nurses union reach four-year tentative agreement

A union representing more than 30,000 nurses in Alberta has reached a four-year tentative agreement with the province after six weeks of formal mediation.

United Nurses of Alberta says the agreement will significantly improve wages, including an immediate hike of about 15 per cent for registered nurses and registered psychiatric nurses.

Formal mediation began in January after workers voted in October 2024 to reject recommendations that had been reached through informal mediation.

Quebec creates new committee to study whether secularism rules are being followed

The Quebec government is creating a committee to make recommendations on how to strengthen secularism in the province. 

Announced this morning, the committee will study whether Quebec’s secularism law, Bill 21, is being respected. 

The government says it will also document alleged religious infiltration of Quebec institutions. 

The committee will analyze measures in place elsewhere in the world to reinforce state secularism, and will deliver a report by Aug. 20. 

Photo Gallery: The week in national and international news photos

Here's a look at some of this week's top news photos as selected by The Canadian Press editors.

Image removed.Sean Baker, winner of the awards for best original screenplay, best film editing, best director, and best picture for "Anora," attends the Governors Ball after the Oscars on Sunday, March 2, 2025, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/John Locher)

 

Remains found in Manitoba landfill confirmed to be Morgan Harris

RCMP say remains found in a Winnipeg-area landfill have been identified as belonging to the victim of a serial killer.

They say the family of Morgan Harris has been notified. Harris was from Long Plain First Nation, west of Winnipeg.

Manitoba Premier Wab Kinew announced last week that possible remains had been found during a search of the landfill.

Trump grants tariff exemption at request of Big Three automakers in North America

U.S. President Donald Trump says he's granted a one-month tariff exemption for any vehicles coming through the Canada-U.S.-Mexico Agreement on trade.

White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt says the Big Three automakers — Stellantis, Ford and General Motors — asked for an exemption to the tariffs when they spoke to Trump.

Leavitt says reciprocal tariffs will still go into effect April 2 but the president is granting a month-long exemption so those automakers are not placed "at an economic disadvantage."

Premier Danielle Smith is to speak on Alberta's response to U.S. tariffs

Alberta Premier Danielle Smith is scheduled to speak today about her province’s response to U.S. tariffs.

U.S. President Donald Trump on Tuesday slapped sweeping 25 per cent tariffs on Canadian exports and a 10 per cent levy on energy products.

Smith has been tight-lipped for weeks about what measures her government might take, although she has repeatedly said counter-tariffs on the province's energy are off the table.

The premier is also set to give an update on Alberta's security efforts at the Canada-U.S. border, a long-standing irritant for Trump.

Here's the latest as the U.S. imposes tariffs on goods coming from Canada and Mexico ▶️

U.S. President Donald Trump has imposed tariffs on U.S. imports today coming from Canada and Mexico. 

The president's executive order hitting Canada and Mexico with 25 per cent across-the-board tariffs, with a lower 10 per cent levy on Canadian energy, took effect at 12:01 a.m. ET.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is scheduled to talk more about Canada's response, which will include tariffs on $155 billion worth of American goods, at 10:30 a.m. in Ottawa. 

Here's the latest news (all times Eastern - keep checking back for the latest details):